[Icecast] converting mp3's to aac+ or ogg

Chris MacDonald chris at thoughtsoft.net
Sun Jun 25 20:46:14 UTC 2006

Hey Dave,

Personally I use ezstream as a source client as it's designed to
re-encode your stream (it's available at www.icecast.org). I've set up
my radio to re-encode my archived flacs to ogg vorbis then out to
icecast and it works quite well.

As for quality, vorbis is apparently one of the nicer formats at low
bitrates. I'm not sure about aac though, I'd imagine there isn't much in
the way of support for it so you'd be much better off with ogg. Either
way though, re-encoding from a lossy format (mp3) to another lossy
format (ogg/aac) you'll notice some sound degradation from your source
mp3, this is entirely why I archive in flac.

I'm not sure what you want to do for dialup/broadband quality settings
but I'd probably just run two mounts for each station, one low bitrate
and one higher. One thing you have to keep in mind though is that all
this re-encoding would happen on the fly so you need to make sure the
machine you'd be doing it with was up to the task.

Not sure if any of the above helps, but I'd imagine it presents some
options at least.

Chris