[Icecast] dir.xiph.org only listing Ogg streams

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Mon Jun 19 08:51:19 UTC 2006

On 6/19/06, Ross Levis <ross at stationplaylist.com> wrote:
> I decided recently to change my stream from Ogg to AAC+ because I have a
> limited upload bandwidth and I wish to provide the best sound quality at
> low bitrates.  If Ogg was as good ias AAC+ then I would definately use
> it.

I'm sorry to hear, this, Ross. Tests have shown Vorbis to be very
competitive to AAC+ at low bitrates, and I suspect client support is
now actually more widespread for vorbis.

> I'm apposed to this decision and I think it is a very bad idea.  It is
> only the xiph directory where my potential listeners come from.  I will
> have to switch to using the Shoutcast server if this is a permanent
> decision, so the station can be visible on a popular directory.

Well, that's your choice. We'd love to see you go back to using
vorbis, but in all honesty, if you don't intend to use free formats,
you're not really the sort of person we wrote icecast primarily for.
mp3/etc support was only added so that people could have mp3 streams
_in addition_ to their free streams - something we admitted was
neccesary due to limited client support in the past.

However, as Ralph said - if someone is willing to do the neccesary
work to optimise the stream directory software, we'd consider
re-allowing non-free listings.

Mike