[Icecast] elegant way of re-encoding?

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Fri Jan 27 07:10:54 UTC 2006

kloschi wrote:

> it would be easier if source-streams would be static and always named
> the same .. unfortunately they are not. if so, I could define simple
> configs for streamtranscoder (if I understood the use of
> streamtranscoder correctly ;)

Sure, streamTranscoder could do what you say.  Are you saying you have
questions about it?  Feel free to ask them here.

> so, what I'm looking for is a way to re-encode every stream which is
> sent to the icecast server, as soon as it is started.
>
> this could be done with streamtranscoder and a looped bash script
> around, that looks if there is a source, if so it starts the re-encode.
>
> Is there an elegant way, better than a bash script? maybe a plugin for
> the icecast server itself?

I've not used it, but Icecast now has the ability to execute a command upon
stream start, as well as upon stream stop.  You could use this fascility to
launch a streamTranscoder instance.

Geoff.