[Icecast] elegant way of re-encoding?

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Mon Feb 6 11:13:28 UTC 2006

Hi again,

Ok, for the benefit of others wanting to use streamtranscoder V3.0 at the
command line.  I assume the GUI version is more intuitive.

1.  (if appropriate) Download and compile the source.  You'll need at least
one of faac, lame, mad, and ogg+flac or ogg+vorbis, at least two in some
cases.  Which you need will depend on what you want to do.

2.  Run streamTranscoderv3.  It will create streamTranscoder_0.cfg

3.  You will ultimately need to edit streamTranscoder_0.cfg so that it
knows where to get your source stream.  Whether you do that now or later is
up to you.  What you *do* need to do is edit streamTranscoder_0.cfg and
change the last line to the number of encoders you want to have.

4.  Run streamTranscoderv3 again.  This time it will make the .cfg and .log
files associated with each encoder you asked for (e.g. if you want 1
encoder, it'll create streamTranscoder_1.cfg and streamTranscoder_1.log).

5.  Edit your streamTranscoder_*.cfg files to suit you.

6.  Run streamtranscoderv3 again, this time with optionally either the -b
or -n switches as desired, and sit back and enjoy.

(Note: I've only done up to step 4, so can't vouch for the rest.

The big change from previous versions of course, apart from the fact that
reconect logic has been put back in (and it's independently setable you'll
notice), is that you now have the ability to use multiple encoders.  I like
this a lot.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <geoff at hitsandpieces.net>
Phone: +61-418-96-5590
MSN: geoff at acbradio.org

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html