[Icecast] Server Requirements

chiapas at aktivix.org chiapas at aktivix.org
Thu Dec 14 10:31:59 UTC 2006

hi

"Thomas B. Rücker" <dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de> schrieb:
> nope, on demand is simple http file serving. (Sidenote: it's not as
> performant as apache)

so it would be better to use mod_mp3 for serving files on-demand?

this article here says it has a lot of functionality but it was written in 2001:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/apache/2001/06/12/mp3.html

> Icecast will never really do any "encoding".
> Sysload will be introduced if you run an separate encoder (e.g. ices2)
> on the same box.

so as Icecast is acting merely as a "bit turnstile" without
undertaking any server side processing then the loadtest graph here -
http://www.icecast.org/loadtest1.php - i guess probably gives quite an
accurate prediction of how Icecast would perform with different
combinations of encoders and listeners to a maximum ceiling of 14,000
listener streams.

incidentally there is some useful information if you Google for
"icecast performance" including optimisation tweaks,

all the best

chip