[Icecast] Fwd: Icecast`s specification

Monty Montgomery monty at xiph.org
Tue Dec 12 11:08:32 UTC 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: grzegorz_reszka at o2.pl <grzegorz_reszka at o2.pl>
Date: Dec 7, 2006 6:39 PM
Subject: Icecast`s specification
To: monty at xiph.org

Hello,

My name is Grzegorz Reszka. I am Polish student and I am writing my
Master of Sciences thesis: "The hardware receiver of the internet
radio stations". I try to write application on the ARM microcontroler
which has to receive mp3 streams, decode (I have already implemented
mp3 decoder) and of course play them:). To be able to do it I need to
get official Icecast`s specification/description.

I only know that Icecast`s client-server communication is done by the
HTTP protocol. But unfortunately I do not know what exactly data
(apart from audio, of course;)), headers etc. are sent. Please, could
you explain me how making connection and exchanging data between
client and server (in both ways) are done? How do Icecast`s frames and
headers look (and how big there are), as well as what data follows? I
have to include all of above information in my thesis, so I will be
gratefull for your help.
Does something like official "Icecast stream protocol" exist? If yes,
how can I get it?

Best Regards and thanks for Your collaboration,
Grzegorz Reszka