[Icecast] using ezstream with stdin

Brandon @ LoudCity.Net IMAP brandon at loudcity.net
Thu Apr 20 16:40:14 UTC 2006

I'm having  a hard time not getting mp3 data to ezstream via stdin fast
enough. The vb.net application I'm writing, ezstream and icecast are all
running on the same machine (Widows XP). Some where in the process, a
buffer empties out and that results in a drop out when you are
listening. Usually the dropout happens at a song change.

At first I was chunking up the data according to bit rate and throttling
how much was written to ezstream. So I guess the drop outs were due to
some overhead between my application and ezstream. Maybe something was
causing the write to stdin to take longer than my application expected.

Just for fun, I tried reading entire mp3 tracks into memory, then
blasting the whole byte array to ezstream in one chunk. It sounds much
better, but I don't think this is the best way to do it.

How do other people usually solve this problem?

Thanks,
Brandon