[Icecast] Icecast cannot count users for relay stream

Rene Gallati security at draxinusom.ch
Tue Sep 20 19:35:50 UTC 2005

Karl Heyes wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 18:07, Rene Gallati wrote:
>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>I am trying out version 2.3RC3 but it seems it has the same bug as all
>>versions before (including 2.2 KH9 which I used last)
>>
>>When trying to relay an on-demand stream with icecast and also limiting,
>>I always find that icecast counts completely wrong. The first listener
>>is not counted, but icecast connects to the master server, gets the
>>stream and relays.
>>
>>If a second client connects, the stream count increases to 1.
>>
>>If either of the two clients disconnect, the count decreses to 0,
>>kicking out the other client by disconnecting from the source.
>>
>>If I only connect with one client, then later disconnect, then icecast
>>does never disconnect from the source and logs the following line into
>>the log:
>>
>>.. INFO sources/process_listeners listener count on /testrelay now
>>4294967295
>>
>>So there is a wrap around on the int. Maybe I just configure it wrong
>>but otherwise, this bug has been around for over a year so I thought I
>>might report it now...
>

> I've tried this a few times here for on-demand relays on rc3 but I don't
> get the incorrect listeners value.  I get what I should expect, I've
> committed a patch to maintain the listener peak value though.
>
> If you get this reliably enough then can you send me the xml and error
> log (level 4) showing the problem.
>
> karl.

Argh! I've reproduced the problem, carefully created the log files,
anonymized them and was just going to post them when it hit me after
I've read the first line of the copy&paste of the log, which was:

[2005-09-20  20:52:50] INFO main/main Icecast 2.2-kh9 server started

I have deployed version 2.2-kh9 again, instead of the newly built rc3!
(The build machine and the deployment machine are different)

So I slap myself on the head, installed the rc3 and _everything_ works
as intended.

Sorry for bothering and thanks for the help !

CU

Rene