[Icecast] live broadcast + WMA

Balint Jacint bjacint at kvark.hu
Fri Sep 16 08:08:33 UTC 2005

_+icecast at sucs.org wrote:

> So VBR? (Variable Bitrate)
> You normally set the quality for a Ogg Vorbis stream, and it
> fluctuates the bit rate.

No, actually not. I really mean dynamic compression: you know, the music
is quite loud, and the speech is quiet, so I need to make these the same
sound level. To reduce the dynamic range of the sound, I need dynamic
compression, a software that makes the sound less dynamic -- kind of the
normalization, but more effective for me. So the listeners don't have to
turn the volume up and down while listening.
The best would be autogain, but I haven't seen any application that
knows this.

I'll take a look at darkice today, even maybe at liveice to find out
which is better for me. If either of these has LADSPA support, that will
be my choice.

> From http://www.oddsock.org/tools/streamTranscoder/
>
> "WMA is supported only under win32. This is due to the not-so-obvious
> fact that no WMA encoder libraries exist for unix."

Thanks, that was the information I needed. What a pity... :(

Yours,
Jacint