[Icecast] Constant pinging from muon.cygnus-1.org

Robert Reed n6hgg at cox.net
Fri Sep 9 03:08:19 UTC 2005

Can someone in this icecast list tell me why, after steaming  a shoutcast
server for some time, a 69.46.29.165 ip address has started and keeps pinging
my port 8000 every couple of seconds 24 hours a day 7 days a week?

It's from muon.cygnus-1.org, and the isp is hivelocity.net or hivelocity
ventures corporation.  Funny, whenever my shoutcast server comes alive, that
same 69.46.29.165 turns into icecast 2.2 making a connection to my shoutcast
server and acting as an icecast relay.  I am now in the icecast directory.
But the icecast directory doesn't appear to be able to refresh whatever my
stream information shows, since I change it 3 or 4 times a day.  If icecast
needs to ping me every few seconds 24 hours a day 7 days a week, maybe they
should learn how to update their directory on my stream.  I didn't think open
source collaborators were so big brotherish. hmm, very interesting...  I'm
very supportive of open source software and use a heap of it myself, but I
don't like being pinged every 2 seconds 24 hours a day 7 days a week.  Stop
it, Damn It!

Hmm, looks like cygnus-1.org has something to do with a Nathan Grennan, who
seems to have some linux ties and TWiki ties and other such things.

Is there a good reason that 69.46.29.165 / muon.cygnus-1.org / icecast has to
ping me every few seconds 24 hours per day 7 days per week just to see if my
shoutcast server is running?  Isn't there a better way to do this sort of
thing?  I would be happy to direct my shoutcast server to icecast's directory
as well as it's current configuration for the shoutcast directory.  Any clues
out there?  Maybe I should have a clue, but I can't stop the pinging.

Should I consider myself under attack from Nathan Grennan or Icecast?  One has
to wonder.  Until then, you can bounce off my firewall till your face turns
blue, except when I'm running the server, of course.

Robert Reed