[Icecast] a few more questions...

Jason Jason at Weatherserver.net
Thu Sep 1 09:13:05 UTC 2005

WMP will play a normal icecast mp3 feed. Thats one of the reasons I use MP3
because everything will play it.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Smith" <msmith at xiph.org>
To: "Michael Hale" <giftculture at gmail.com>
Cc: <icecast at xiph.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 5:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Icecast] a few more questions...

> Mike
>
> Frankly, the only reason that I'm even considering relaying WMA9 is
> because
> a large number of listeners to the streams may not be all that technically
> savvy and WMP comes with XP - I'd like to prevent having to ask the users
> download another player if preferable.  I don't have very much experience
> with WMP 9 or WMP 10 etc.  Forgive me if this is a silly question, but can
> they stream from mp3 audio streams?  If so then I wouldn't have to worry
> about steaming WMA format at all.

I'd be somewhat surprised if WMP couldn't stream mp3, but I don't have
any windows systems to test on. You should really provide a
higher-quality, free alternative, as well - ogg vorbis.

Note that WMP can happily play vorbis streams as well if you install
the directshow filters (www.illiminable.com/ogg/)

Mike