[Icecast] Legal issues for non-profit radio stations.

Dick Trump dtrump1 at triadav.com
Tue Oct 18 21:43:32 UTC 2005

ml wrote:
> Well in our situation I made the recordings, the choir sang them, so the
> only bit we need to cover is the song writers, which in some cases
> belongs to the choir too.

This isn't directly pertinent for a couple reasons but I thought it might be worth noting.  I am in the U.S. and my company regularly records choirs for an annual auditioned festival which features about 400 kids.  We are contracted to do the recording (both audio & video) for CD & DVD replication.

We have found that contacting the publisher directly rather than going through a clearing house is the most effective.  In the U.S., the fees for sound recordings only are statutory at a fixed fee.  Videos come under different rules and it is necessary that the fees be negotiated on a case by case basis.

We occasionally have a publisher that fails to respond on a timely basis but we just keep after them.

--
Regards
Dick Trump

Triad AV Services