[Icecast] Legal issues for non-profit radio stations.

Paul Martin pm at nowster.zetnet.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 14:00:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 02:08:16PM +0100, Michael Hobbs wrote:

> Presumably I will need one of your licences to be sure this is legal -
> but I will not be hosting adverts on either the radio station or
> website as this is a strictly non-profit venture. As I understand, you
> generate your revenue based on a percentage of the licensee's
> revenue,of which there will be none, where does this leave me in terms
> of getting a licence?

I doubt you'll get a "free" licence. Even non-profit restricted service
licence (RSL) stations have to get PRS licences, and very expensive they
are too.

An RSL is a short term radio licence issued by OfCOM (was Radio
Authority) in the UK. They usually get frequencies of 87.7MHz or
107.9MHz, and are limited to 10W radiated power from a vertically
polarized omnidirectional aerial. The licence usually lasts a maximum
of 28 days.

--
Paul Martin <pm at zetnet.net> (work)
  <pm at nowster.zetnet.co.uk> (home)