[Icecast] Speex (source) client?

William K. Volkman wkvsf at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 17 00:12:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 15:36, oddsock wrote:
> so keep in mind that when you say "speex" you need to know if you are
> talking about "ogg speex" (.ogg) or "speex" (.spx) and playing and
> streaming each is different.  Same thing goes for "ogg flac" (.ogg) and
> "flac" (.flac).  And unfortunately with most of these client support (for
> streaming) is very light if non-existant.

Whereas the flac documentation mentions that there is a difference
between ogg flac and flac.  There doesn't seem to be such a distinction
for speex, the .spx file produced is in Ogg container format.

> and to answer the question about libshout, libshout does not currently
> support ogg-speex (or ogg flac) and this is due to the lack of the timing
> code.  When streaming from files (which is what libshout is quite often
> used for), then you need to make sure libshout knows about the underlying
> format so it can throttle it at the appropriate bitrate, not doing so will
> call all sorts of turmoil on the icecast server side.

This would be why I saw the 100% utilization on both the icecast server
and the source client (I had concluded this in my testing last weekend,
I just hadn't had time to dig into what needed to be added to libshout).
The thing that bothered me is I didn't spot anything that stood out
as doing timing for theora/vorbis streams.  If you can point me in the
direction to look I'll see about producing a patch.

BTW.  Sourcing the mount point as /mystream.spx on icecast, VLC was
able to play it.  Gstreamer based clients were able to also (totem
and rhythmbox) although they were unhappy when the stream ended and
restarted.

HTH,
William.