[Icecast] Speex (source) client?

Ross Levis ross at stationplaylist.com
Wed Nov 16 23:36:30 UTC 2005

As you know, Winamp relies on the file extension to know what input
plugin to utilize for the audio decoding.  The input plugin for .ogg
files (in_vorbis.dll) needs to understand the other ogg container
formats but it doesn't as it is a vorbis only decoder.

So the only solution is for Ogg Speex to have a different extension so
this can be appended to the mountpoint, and an input plugin
understanding Ogg Speex will need to register that extension with
Winamp.  I'm not sure if one exists currently.

I believe Winamp supports longer than 3 character file extensions so
perhaps .oggspx and .oggflac could be used.

Ross.