[Icecast] ices0, lame, and m4a

Brendan Cully brendan at xiph.org
Wed Nov 2 22:08:39 UTC 2005

On Wednesday, 02 November 2005 at 13:17, Johnny Catbird wrote:
> Ok, I don't know what I'm doing wrong here, so I
> signed up to the mailing list.  Here's the situation:
>
> I have an extensive music collection and have just
> purchased an iPod.  I already have ripped a few of my
> CDs (about 4Gb worth) in an mp3 format (previously had
> an mp3 CD player), but I'm not planning to rip the
> rest of my CD collection in an mp3 format.  At the
> moment, I'm leaning toward AAC for file size, quality,
> and iPod compatability, though I'm not sure it's going
> to work.
>
> As it happens, I also have a server on which I'd like
> to stream my music library.  I'm running FreeBSD 5.4,
> and have decided to use icecast.  I still need an
> audio streamer, and I'd prefer to stream directly from
> the command line.  Since the streamer needs to have
> mp3 support for my currently ripped music, I'm
> planning on using ices0 with lame support to allow for
> the AAC files.
>
> Here's the problem: I installed faad, lame, and ices0
> without any problems... or so I thought.  I ripped a
> CD with iTunes and uploaded the m4a file to my server.
>  I set up the playlist, run ices, and I get a
> segmentation fault.  Is this an issue with how iTunes
> rips the CD?

how about a backtrace? and see if you get the same segfault reencoding
from other formats (eg ogg to mp3 or mp3 to a different bitrate).

the faad library had a file descriptor leak last time I looked at it,
but I've used it to transcode itunes-created files with ices before.
Not on freebsd though - and freebsd has traditionally been a lot more
finicky than linux.