[Icecast] ices0, lame, and m4a

Johnny Catbird johnnycatbird at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 21:17:45 UTC 2005

Ok, I don't know what I'm doing wrong here, so I
signed up to the mailing list.  Here's the situation:

I have an extensive music collection and have just
purchased an iPod.  I already have ripped a few of my
CDs (about 4Gb worth) in an mp3 format (previously had
an mp3 CD player), but I'm not planning to rip the
rest of my CD collection in an mp3 format.  At the
moment, I'm leaning toward AAC for file size, quality,
and iPod compatability, though I'm not sure it's going
to work.

As it happens, I also have a server on which I'd like
to stream my music library.  I'm running FreeBSD 5.4,
and have decided to use icecast.  I still need an
audio streamer, and I'd prefer to stream directly from
the command line.  Since the streamer needs to have
mp3 support for my currently ripped music, I'm
planning on using ices0 with lame support to allow for
the AAC files.

Here's the problem: I installed faad, lame, and ices0
without any problems... or so I thought.  I ripped a
CD with iTunes and uploaded the m4a file to my server.
 I set up the playlist, run ices, and I get a
segmentation fault.  Is this an issue with how iTunes
rips the CD?

Relevant installed ports (let me know if I missed
one):
faac-1.24_5
faad-2-2.0_5,1
flac-1.1.2
lame-3.96.1
libogg-1.1.2_1,3
libshout-2.1
libvorbis-1.1.1,3

I'm using Icecast 2.3.0 and Ices 0.4.  My question is:
how do I get AAC working with Ices 0.4?  Should I
consider a different streamer?  Or for that matter,
should I just forget using AAC and encode in mp3
(which I really don't want to do)?

Sorry this is a bit of a ramble; I've been working on
this for a few days, and it's driving me nuts.  I'd
appreciate any help anyone can provide me.

Johnny C.