[Icecast] Are there any success stories streaming to an icecast2 server using Asterisk or OpenMCU?

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Sat May 21 14:33:13 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 14:16, Geoff Shang wrote:
> Flash Love wrote:
>
> > I have read more about asterisk and have succeeded in using it's app_ices
> > function and a sample conference .  I would like to learn more about lowering
> > the latency between the Speaker on the SIPphone->Meetme
> > Conference->ICES->Listener stream.
>
> Vorbis is always going to have some latency, but you could try the
> following:

any format is going to have some latency. Vorbis is no different in this
regard.

> * Disable the burst options in Icecast
>
> * Lower the listener's buffer size to the smallest possible value

These 2 are related, so both have to be done to reduce the latency.

> * I think there's a setting in Ices which you could also reduce

ices already flushes audio out every second. In 2.0.1 you can state in
<encode>

   <flush-samples>11025</flush-samples>

to change the default (which is samplerate). icecast 2.2 also rebuilds
vorbis only streams, but that isn't changeable from the half-second
flush currently.  Most of the lag is in the icecast->listener buffering

karl.