Encumbered technology policy, was RE: [Icecast] AAC support?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue May 3 03:16:28 UTC 2005

I'd meant to comment on this at the time...

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 12:01:45PM -0700, Greg J. Ogonowski wrote:
> By adding support for AAC/HE-AAC to Icecast2, the project is certainly
> about freedom.
> It gives users the freedom to choose whatever codec they want.

Our official policy and organization mandate is to promote
unencumbered formats and software.  To those ends, we do not and will
not actively develop or support encumbered formats or software.  Let
the commercial world support its own.

That said, we don't seek to actively discourage, sabotage, or
intentionally frustrate interoperability with closed/encumbered
technology.  However, we won't actively develop or support it either.

Monty