[Icecast] streaming from the sound card

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Mon May 2 17:27:06 UTC 2005

Karl Heyes wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 17:43, Jack Coates wrote:
>
>>Ices and Icecast both start okay, and aren't logging any complaints. But
>>when I try to connect to the ogg stream with Winamp, I get nothing.
>>Using tethereal, I can see that the the connection handshakes okay, the
>>metadata is passed back to the client, the client acks, and that's the
>>end. Nothing is logged by icecast or ices, aside from this sort of thing:
>>[2005-05-02  09:38:04] DBUG connection/_handle_get_request Client connected
>>[2005-05-02  09:38:04] DBUG connection/_handle_get_request Source found
>>for client
>

> from this description I would say that the input is stalled, some other
> app has the device open and ices stalls when trying to open it.

Thanks for the reply. Is there any other explanation? This machine is a
server with no other audio-using applications on it, and ps -aux shows
nothing with any sound access. Ices logs that it opened the sound device ok:
[2005-05-02  10:11:19] INFO input-alsa/alsa_open_module Opened audio
device hw:0,0
[2005-05-02  10:11:19] INFO input-alsa/alsa_open_module using 2
channel(s), 44100 Hz, buffer 371 ms (2 periods)
[2005-05-02  10:11:19] INFO stream/ices_instance_stream Connected to
server: localhost:8000/stream.ogg
[2005-05-02  10:11:19] INFO signals/signal_usr1_handler Metadata update
requested

I'd also expect that sound system blocking would prevent rec -s w -c 2
-r 44100 test.wav from working.

>>Any ideas? Here's the pertinent config...
>>
>>icecast-2.0.1-1mdk
>>ices-2.0.0-4mdk
>

> ices 2.0.1 has better ALSA support.  Using ALSA asoundrc you can
> configure a device to use dsnoop/dmix and allow multiple apps share the
> same device at the same time.

I can certainly give it a try, but I don't see why it would make a
difference...

>>cat /etc/ices.conf
>><?xml version="1.0"?>
>><ices>
>>     <background>0</background>
>>     <logpath>/var/log/ices</logpath>
>>     <logfile>ices.log</logfile>
>>     <loglevel>4</loglevel>
>

>>     <consolelog>1</consolelog>
>

> avoid setting this to 1, console access tends to be very slow, the log
> file is best used.
>
> karl.

ok, that's just active during debugging anyway.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!