[Icecast] streaming from the sound card

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Mon May 2 17:03:43 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 17:43, Jack Coates wrote:
> Ices and Icecast both start okay, and aren't logging any complaints. But
> when I try to connect to the ogg stream with Winamp, I get nothing.
> Using tethereal, I can see that the the connection handshakes okay, the
> metadata is passed back to the client, the client acks, and that's the
> end. Nothing is logged by icecast or ices, aside from this sort of thing:
> [2005-05-02  09:38:04] DBUG connection/_handle_get_request Client connected
> [2005-05-02  09:38:04] DBUG connection/_handle_get_request Source found
> for client

from this description I would say that the input is stalled, some other
app has the device open and ices stalls when trying to open it.

> Any ideas? Here's the pertinent config...
>
> icecast-2.0.1-1mdk
> ices-2.0.0-4mdk

ices 2.0.1 has better ALSA support.  Using ALSA asoundrc you can
configure a device to use dsnoop/dmix and allow multiple apps share the
same device at the same time.

> cat /etc/ices.conf
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <ices>
>      <background>0</background>
>      <logpath>/var/log/ices</logpath>
>      <logfile>ices.log</logfile>
>      <loglevel>4</loglevel>

>      <consolelog>1</consolelog>

avoid setting this to 1, console access tends to be very slow, the log
file is best used.

karl.