[Icecast] Winamp 0% Buffering mp3 streams

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Thu Mar 10 20:13:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 19:51, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Darrell Dominey wrote on Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:31:04 -0330:
>
> > make sure that your mountpoint does not have a .ogg extention with the
> > mp3 stream, otherwise, it will try to play using the ogg plugin, and
> > will stay at 0% buffer
> >

> Hi, thanks for the quick answer. We are serving the mp3s with .nsv endings
> since that is what the oddcast plugin seems to send by default when mp3 is
> used and no mount point specified (it then sends with "live.nsv" if I
> remember this correctly). Should Winamp be able to handle .nsv or should I
> change this to .mp3 f.i.?

NSV is not the same as mp3, NSV is a container that may contain an mp3
stream and as such requires a different handler in the listening client.

Most listening client have bugs, the most common one is the extension
one that players like winamp use for content selection, even though we
pass an appropriate content type.

I think the general rule for winamp is if it has an extension like .ogg
or .nsv then it is handled specifically, if the extension is not
recognised or missing then MP3 is assumed.

karl.