[Icecast] New User Installation: Questions about live streaming

Flash Love flashl at cox.net
Wed Mar 9 02:07:16 UTC 2005

My short term goal, is to stream mp3 and add input from the mic (my voice)
into the stream. Long term goal, internet radio with music, talk, and request
on demand.

I downloaded, compiled, and configured ices-0.4.tar using ices.conf.dist (mp3
files are streaming and clients [winamp, win media] connect OK). In
the /download/ices-0.4/conf directory there are four files: ices.conf.dist,
ices.conf.dist.in, ices.pm.dist, and ices.py.dist.

I have used aumix to ensure that the mic is set to "R" and verified the
settings for Line-in, PCM, and I-Gain. Then, I modified the ices.conf.dist
file to use the example configuration.

When using "<ices:Configuration
xmlns:ices="http://www.icecast.org/projects/ices">", ices complain:
Unknown Node: background
Unknown Node: logpath
Unknown Node: logfile
Unknown Node: logsize
Unknown Node: loglevel
Unknown Node: consolelog
Unknown Node: stream

When using "<ices>, ices complaint:
XML Parser: Document of invalid type, no ices namespace found
Logfile opened
Could not find a valid playlist file.
Ices Exiting...

The only changes are on lines 2 and last line in the config file. Is
ices-0.4.tar.gz the latest?

Flash