[Icecast] vorbis ogg vs. aac

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Mar 9 00:56:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 11:48:50AM +1100, Michael Smith wrote:

> Ogg Vorbis is the format we recommend for both high quality or low
> bitrate. The downside of it is worse compatibility than mp3 - not
> everyone has a vorbis player, yet. AAC has compatibility problems too,
> and generally doesn't exceed vorbis in quality, so you're on the right
> track - use vorbis instead of AAC!

Although I appreciate the sentiment, it sounds as if you may actually
be looking at the wrong AAC.  AAC is a collection of related codecs
all named AAC (in MPEG parlance, the different codecs are called
'profiles') and only one of them, the latest/greatest SBR variant, is
actually any good at low bitrate.  I'm guessing that the encoder you
found doesn't actually support the AAC 'HE' profile, which is the
profile you'd want to evaluate for streaming.  The others don't
generally compare well to Vorbis.

Monty