[Icecast] vorbis ogg vs. aac

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 00:48:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 22:43:52 -0200, ZONA <carlos at zonacharrua.com> wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
> this is my second question at this list and I wanted to mention that with
> answers and guides I got from 2 persons last time, I got a quite low rate
> stream in vorbis ogg, in about 5 minutes after reading what you wrote-
> Thanks!
> Well after that, I pointed my attention to the so called AAC, and after
> tweaking a bit I got my AAC stream up and connected to Icecast serv.
> I was a bit dissapointed about AAC, as I thought this was better
> encoding/compression than OGG. I alpologise if I express my selv badly about
> the technical detail, but the thing is that at low bitrates (lets say
> between 20 and 80 kbps) OGG sounds a lot better than AAC.
> As I still believe AAC is a really good one, maybe somebody can tell a
> little about where or how I can get the best result with it.
> (I can hear an anoying sound "behind" the good one, something like
> metal/glass chorus at low rates with aac).

Ogg Vorbis is the format we recommend for both high quality or low
bitrate. The downside of it is worse compatibility than mp3 - not
everyone has a vorbis player, yet. AAC has compatibility problems too,
and generally doesn't exceed vorbis in quality, so you're on the right
track - use vorbis instead of AAC!

Mike