[Icecast] how can I identify disconnect due to low

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Mon Mar 7 21:23:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 19:15, Henk van de Ridder wrote:

> Do you have some extra information around the impact of the size of the
> TCP-window in relation to this problem ? Our clients mostly have a dial-in
> connection. We are streaming with 16kbps or 24kbps

The TCP window is just the amount of un-acknowledged data in the
connection, so if the window size is too small then the connection is
throttled and the bitrate drops. That sort of thing would lead to a
client fallen too far behind. So it depends on the expected bitrate and
the round trip time (RTT, ping).

The simplest way is to make sure the server enables TCP window scaling
and check the listener OS for their TCP settings. Make sure they have
either TCP window scaling enabled or at least a large enough receive
window

karl.