[Icecast] how can I identify disconnect due to low <queue-size>

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Sun Mar 6 03:28:58 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 02:53, Mihail Egorov wrote:

> > I could see a reason for logging at the info level, but you generally
> > don't want such reporting at warn or error as it is unlikely that you
> > can do much about it, the usual cause being a saturated link.  This sort
>
> I REALLY CAN DO MUCH ABOUT IT! I CAN INCREASE <queue-size>!

That just increases the maximum queue length, stick it at 1Meg if you
want, the queue will shrink when it's unused, but if the client is too
slow for the stream bitrate (and you haven't mentioned any details) then
it won't keep up and eventually it will either starve at the client end
or get kicked from icecast. The large size just means it would take
longer.

> > of thing is best left for the stats.
>
> Queue-size was default 100k. I have a problem of disconnecting clients after
> 2...20 second. One client drops connection even when he is the single
> client. Server link was far far far from saturation, and another client has
> not difficulties. I connected to unhappy client using video conferencing
> software -- no jams, good quality. Error level was 3, so I can not determine
> reason. Now I increased queue-size to 1M -- still no problems.

Check your TCP buffers sizes as well, a larger RTT (ping) will require a
larger TCP window to maintain the same maximum bitrate.

karl.