[Icecast] Streaming Council Debate on Software Patents via Cell Phone?

Greg J. Ogonowski greg at orban.com
Sat Mar 5 19:40:02 UTC 2005

There are a couple of ways to do this.  Both assume the mobile phone has
Internet connectivity.

The standards-based method is to use 3GP RTSP/RTP LATM streams and
AAC/HE-AAC/aacPlus, which is built into several mobile devices already on
several different mobile device platforms.  This would involve using the
appropriate encoder such as ORBAN Opticodec-PC and Darwin Streaming Server.

http://www.orban.com/orban/products/stream/1010_overview.html

The second way to do this, and I have currently been testing, is to use an
Icecast2 server with an encoder of your choice and BetaPlayer, which is
available for several different WindowsCE mobile devices, and supports
several different codecs including OggVorbis and AAC/HE-AAC.  Testing has
revealed that AAC/HE-AAC streaming works fine, but there is lots of audio
skipping with OggVorbis streams.

http://betaplayer.corecodec.org/

I have been testing with a Verizon XV6600 EVDO device on the U.S. Verizon
CDMA Network.

-greg.

At 10:45 2005-03-05, Felix E. Klee wrote:
>I'm looking for a solution to provide a live stream of the debate on
>Sofware Patents in Monday's EU Council of Ministers [1].  Here's what I've in
>mind:
>
>* Council --> mobile phone --> software answering machine --> Internet
>   server
>
>* Council --> mobile phone --> VOIP --> Internet server
>
>Has anyone ever streamed something via a cell phone? How would you
>realize such a setup?
>
>I may be asking for too much, but, perhaps, someone could provide a
>readily configured solution where all that's left to do on our [2] part
>is calling up a certain number with the cell phone?  If so, please drop
>me a note.
>
>[1] http://wiki.ffii.org/Dkparl050304En
>
>[2] http://www.ffii.org
>
>--