[Icecast] behind a router

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Wed Mar 2 22:42:14 UTC 2005

hi renna!

renna wrote:
> first of all i realized i haven't properly understood what <bind-adress> is
> needed for. to "stick" the server to a particular network card? what does
> this exactly mean? do i need it?

when you open a network socket, you can either listen on all the devices
you have, or on just one. every system has the loopback device
(127.0.0.1), and for each network card or other interface (ppp modem
link, usb network etc.) you have other ip addresses.

if you listen to localhost only, no other machines can connect you,

if you're on linux, you can do "netstat -lpn" (as root) to see which
processes are bound to (i.e. listening on) which interfaces.

> i tried assigning to <hostname> both the internal ip of the router 192.168.2.1
> and the ip that's assigned to it by the ISP, and in either case i'm not able
> through xmms to connect to the stream, neither to
> http://192.168.2.1:8000/live nor to http://ipassignedbytheISP:8000/live

as geoff pointed out, it should work regardless - my answer was wrong.

can you do "telnet http://192.168.2.1:8000/live" and then type "GET /" ?
try both ip addresses.

just to be sure, xmms to http://your-actual-stream-server/live from your
internal network works, right?

> on the router i have redirected port 8000 to my ip both for tcp and for udp,
> should i change this?

no, that's ok, although udp will not be used.

> btw i created a user icecast to start the icecast server and when i start it
> it gives me this error, but still starts up,
> icecast at delirium icecast $ icecast -c icecast/icecast.xml
> WARNING: Can't change user id unless you are root.

well, only root can switch user ids. if you start it e.g. as user
"renna", it will run with your account's rights.

> does this have anything to do with my problem?

don't think so, as long as icecast starts.