[Icecast] What Does Icecast Do

Geoff Staples geoff at radioleft.com
Thu Jun 30 23:25:49 UTC 2005

If you are broadcasting the same feed on all three stations, then, you
can encode at a high bit rate (FM quality - see the Icecast
documentation to decide format and bit rate).  Then, use Icecast to
serve the feed and your stations can then attach to the feed and receive
their signal. You can use authentication, or even an obscure mount name
(If it isn't published anywhere, how could anyone guess that your feed
is on http://232.156.023.232/uTe8GQ64.ogg)

But, here's a practical consideration: If you stream a private feed for
your other stations to pick-up for rebroadcast, you will have a latency
caused by buffering and other factors. So, you won't be able to have a
program at a remote station start at exactly 10:00, for example. Nor
will you be able to have the three stations synchronized.

The big advantage of streaming technology is that the origination point
and the access points can be literally anywhere the Internet is
available with no advance planning. You can even use wireless Internet
technologies for broadcasting or receiving. But, it sounds like your
origination point and your three access points are fixed locations - and
there are only three of them.

Since you're talking about fixed locations and especially if you're
broadcasting 24 hours per day, you may find that ISDN telephone lines
are more reliable and less expensive (or at least competitive) than
Internet technology.

Of course, you would still use Icecast for streaming to your audience as
you mentioned no matter what you do for the links to your three radio
stations.

Geoff