[Icecast] big buffer on server-side

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Mon Jun 20 14:38:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 15:12, Balint Jacint wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> As I read the documentation, the queue-size is related to the listener,
> not the source. If the listener sets up a small buffer, they can easily
> run out of it.

The queue-size related to the maximum amount of stream data we store
within the server for a particular source. It's added to when new data
comes in and regular checks are made for removing as much as we can. As
long as listeners don't lag behind by over queue-size bytes then they
can stay on.

If the source can only send data at half the rate it needs then
listeners will end up stuttering on playback, so it really depends on
what you mean by a temporary bandwidth shortage problem.

> The source-timeout parameter is an important one for me, I'll raise
> that. Thanks!
>
> Isn't there a parameter that controls the buffer size used in the
> server...? Or any other way to make this goal?

again, when listening clients have been sent the most recent stream
data, what do you expect to happen then ?  currently they will stop
waiting for more data.

You could try increasing the burst size to something much larger, as
that will define how far back in the queue new listeners start but I'm
not sure what many players would do on such cases.

karl.