[Icecast] Newbie with problems on Debian Sarge

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Sun Jun 12 21:42:08 UTC 2005

William McKeehan wrote:

> I have my audio working with ALSA - microphone in plays through my audio out.

This means that your microphone is unmuted in playback, but this does not
mean that it is "captured" for recording or that some other master record
level is not set at 0.

First,try recording and seeing if you can hear anything.

arecord filename.wav (the quality won't be high but that's not important)

Then play it back.

aplay filename.wav

If you can hear your microphone then the problem isn't occuring before
Ices.

If you hear silence, do the following:

1.  Load up alsamixer.

2.  Cursor across to Mic and check that it is captured.  If it isn't, press
space and it should capture.

3.  If you're using something like an SBLive, you may well need to turn up
some kind of master record volume.  I have an SBLive and on my card, the
control is called Capture and I currently have it at about 40%.  Where you
should have it will depend on the strength of your input signal.

If you change anything and it subsequently works, don't forget to run
"alsactl store" as root to save your settings so they are reloaded next
time you boot the system.

Hope this helps.

Geoff.