[Icecast] IceCast 2.2 MP3 stream and Real Player noise

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Wed Jun 8 16:05:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 16:34, Fred Black wrote:
> I tested it this morning and here are my findings:

cheers

> 1) The Intro tag causes Real Player to give an error that the stream
> "contains unexpected data and may be corrupt".  It does not play with the
> Intro tag in the mount point.  If I remove the Intro tag the stream plays,
> and, the Real Player noise caused by meta-data is gone and the meta-data
> updates work.
>
> 2) The Intro plays in iTunes and switches over to the stream when the Intro
> has finished.  The meta-data updates work.
>
> 4) The Intro works in Windows Media Player and when the intro if finished,
> it switches over to the stream.  Meta-data updates do not appear to work
> with WMP.

I don't think WMP requests the metadata, and if a listener does not
request it then we have to assume it cannot handle it, after all the
metadata breaks the mp3 spec.

I committed the fix for realplayer after the intro file update, so I
suspect you are seeing a similar thing with intro files as you did
before.  At least we know the cause, and it seems like real is the only
one suffering from it currently. I'll look into the intro metadata.

karl.