[Icecast] How to reach listeners behind corporate firewall

Balint Jacint bjacint at kvark.hu
Sun Jun 5 19:45:27 UTC 2005

Hi,

I know two solutions for that.
1. You set up icecast to broadcast on the 80 port (there's a <port> tag
in the xml). If you run a webserver on the same machine, then you can't
do this.
2. If you run a webserver on the 80 port, you can set up the webserver
to relay the stream through it. If you use apache, you need something
like this in your httpd.conf:

<VirtualHost IP_ADDRESS>
    ServerName stream.company.com
    ErrorLog /var/log/apache/stream_error.log
    CustomLog /var/log/apache/stream_access.log combined
    ProxyPass / http://127.0.0.1:8000/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://127.0.0.1:8000/
</VirtualHost>

After this the users can connect to
http://stream.company.com:80/[stream_path].
This case in the stream's log all connections come from 127.0.0.1, but
the original IP addresses are recorded in the apache's log.

Yours,
Jacint