[Icecast] relay icecast to shoutcast

Robert Muchnick hostmaster at xenterra.net
Sun Jun 5 01:22:47 UTC 2005

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Iain Mott wrote:

> figured it out! I have a dynamically allocated IP address - and i was
> entering a dynamic DNS name in the shoutcast server config expecting it
> to be resolved. It wasn't. I entered the IP address just then and it
> relays perfectly! Will follow up with the shoutcast service support to
> see why my dynamic name isn't being resolved (perhaps it can't be with
> shoutcast?).

DNS means "Domain Name Service". In order to serve ANYTHING on the
Internet, you have to have a reliable -- i.e., STATIC -- IP address,
mapped forward and reverse, name to IP address and vice versa.

What you are describing for your connection is DHCP -- where you are the
client of your upstream -- and you cannot serve anything for more than the
time of your current connection, meaning your "service", whatever it is,
is at best transient.

Robert Muchnick
Xenterra.net
720-276-7917