[Icecast] Sizing an Ice Cast Server

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Thu Jun 2 13:36:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 04:30, Geoff Staples wrote:
> Is there some info somewhere about calculating the throughput of an
> Icecast server?
>
> (I'm not really talking about the bandwidth)
>
> I need to figure out how much CPU and RAM I need.

RAM/CPU usage is so minimal that it would hardly show, bugs excluded :).
Each has a tie in to the number streams running, but a few Mbytes is
really the typical figure.

> I also need to know whether other software on the server (such as mySQL
> ) will have a problem with Icecast.

I would of thought the other software would have to be hitting the
system resources very hard to affect icecast. The disk is hardly used,
maxing out bandwidth would affect listeners before icecast and not much
CPU is needed.

karl.