[Icecast] Re: solution for YP problem

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Mon Jul 25 23:12:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 23:55, mark burdett wrote:
> For 100% reliability I ended up removing dir.xiph.org from my
> list of YP directories.  My guess is it was taking too long to
> respond to requests, which could be a problem if an icecast
> server has a large number of mounts.  But it could be a
> problem unique to me (I'd be curious to know if anyone else
> has had trouble).

The directory handler itself serialises the updates so the number of
mounts shouldn't matter directly however if long timeouts trigger with
many stream details then the touch updates may not get around quickly
enough.

> the dir.xiph.org admins might want to make sure the db is well
> tuned (e.g. query caching, etc. in my.cnf) so it can perhaps
> respond to touches more quickly..

It will probably be looked at over the next few days, we reached over
900 on it today, so it has been steadily increasing.

karl.