[Icecast] ices2 "crashes" respectivley produces hissing

Christian Leitold linux at leitold.info
Mon Jul 18 11:01:50 UTC 2005

Hello list!

I've recently installed icecast2 and ices2 on my Debian Sarge box, to
stream some musik for my local network. Basically, it just runs fine,
using my soundcard / ALSA as audio source. Unfortunately, there is one
BIG problem: after a certain amount of time (varies, can be a few
minutes up to an hour or so), ices2 just "crashes", thus producing a
terrible noise on the client(s) receiving the stream. Strange enough,
apart from that it seems that everything is just in order, there is no
error message, and even song metadata (produced by XMMS an a small perl
script on the server) is still broadcasted by the the programme.

I would be really glad if someone could provide some help for my weird
problem! If needed, I've attached a copy of my ices2.xml to that message.

Thanks a lot!
Christian Leitold