[Icecast] Different encodings on different ports

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 03:15:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:57:48 -0800, Josh Burley <jburley at kuci.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     I'm looking to migrate from Shoutcast to Icecast. Our current
> configuration is such that we have a low bitrate encoding on port 8000,
> and a high bitrate encoding on 889. I've been looking through the
> documentation but haven't found a good way to make this happen in
> Icecast. We're using Darkice to stream to the server, and that does the
> different enodings fine, but from the Icecast side I can't figure out
> how to set the same mount point ( / ), have different data on different
> ports.
>
>     Is this possible? Or do I have to run separate Icecast instances?

You can run your two streams on one icecast, configuring them as (for
example) /lowbitrate and /highbitrate in your source client. Then you
can configure port-specific aliases for these, so you have "/ on port
8000" --> "/lowbitrate" and "/ on port 889" --> "/highbitrate".

>From the point of view of the source clients, they can use either
port, it'll make no difference at all (they won't be using the
aliases), but for the listening clients, they'll get the appropriate
port-specific alias.

I'm not sure if this (port-specific aliases) is properly documented,
though. If it's not, here's a quick summary. Configure an alias as
normal, but add an attribute: port="8000" (or 889, as appropriate).
Connections to the alias mountpoint will only be accepted if the
incoming request was on the appropriate port. Otherwise the alias will
be ignored (and it'll fall through and check the next alias).

Mike