[Icecast] Your ideas ...

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Mon Jan 24 20:47:11 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 01:06:13PM -0600, Steven Clift wrote:

> I am looking for ideas on how to best webcast public meetings.  The
> general idea is to allow folks to easily send their live or recorded
> meeting audio up to a server via their browser.

I can see a browser-based interface for uploading previously recorded
and compressed content to a website, but I think it's going to be difficult
to do live recording that way. I guess you could write a java app, but
really, just helping with general live recording/streaming tools would
be a better approach I think.

On the playback side however, I think you can do well by integrating
something like Fluendo's cortado applet for playback directly inside
the content management system's webpages.

  http://www.flumotion.net/jar/cortado/
  http://mirror.fluendo.com/cortado/
  http://www.flumotion.net/src/cortado/

it already supports audio and video, and slide support is also planned.

> My goal is to present an alternative to more expensive video webcasting
> for small local government and community groups that want to "double"
> their audience from 10 people a the room with a net connection by adding
> another 10 online.

Sounds like an excellent project. Good luck with it!

 -r