[Icecast] EROR: no DNS

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Sun Jan 23 02:47:06 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 23:53, Zenon Panoussis wrote:
> [2005-01-22  23:31:17] EROR yp/send_to_yp connection to http://dir.xiph.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi failed with "Couldn't resolve host 'dir.xiph.org'"
> [2005-01-22  23:31:17] EROR yp/send_to_yp connection to http://www.oddsock.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi failed with "Couldn't resolve host 'www.oddsock.org'"
>
> This happens in chroot. Out of chroot, no problems. So I did the obvious
> and put a copy of etc/resolv.conf in the chroot. No avail. It clearly needs
> a lot more than just resolv.conf. Probably a pile of libraries and god knows
> what.

The /etc/resolv.conf file is only for DNS lookup, general hostname
lookups use the Name Service Switch (/etc/nsswitch.conf) to decide the
order of lookups. Each of those services (including DNS) may dynamically
load modules (/lib/libnss*) to perform the actual service specific
hostname lookup.

If these modules are loaded after the start of icecast (the default case
on linux) and more specifically after the chroot then these also have to
be in the chroot jail as well

karl.