[Icecast] EROR: no DNS

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 00:41:54 UTC 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:53:32 +0100, Zenon Panoussis
<oracle at provocation.net> wrote:

> [2005-01-22  23:31:17] EROR yp/send_to_yp connection to http://dir.xiph.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi failed with "Couldn't resolve host 'dir.xiph.org'"
> [2005-01-22  23:31:17] EROR yp/send_to_yp connection to http://www.oddsock.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi failed with "Couldn't resolve host 'www.oddsock.org'"
>
> This happens in chroot. Out of chroot, no problems. So I did the obvious
> and put a copy of etc/resolv.conf in the chroot. No avail. It clearly needs
> a lot more than just resolv.conf. Probably a pile of libraries and god knows
> what.

As you've found out, you do need a lot of stuff on modern systems (you
didn't say what OS you were using, though) to get a working resolver.

Personally, though I've used chroot, I haven't used it with anything
that requires a resolver (e.g. relays, yp), so I'm not certain exactly
what you need.

You should be able to find some info with a web search - just don't
make it icecast-specific, since there's nothing icecast-specific about
getting your name resolver working inside chroot..

Mike