[Icecast] EROR: no DNS

Zenon Panoussis oracle at provocation.net
Sat Jan 22 23:53:32 UTC 2005

[2005-01-22  23:31:17] EROR yp/send_to_yp connection to http://dir.xiph.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi failed with "Couldn't resolve host 'dir.xiph.org'"
[2005-01-22  23:31:17] EROR yp/send_to_yp connection to http://www.oddsock.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi failed with "Couldn't resolve host 'www.oddsock.org'"

This happens in chroot. Out of chroot, no problems. So I did the obvious
and put a copy of etc/resolv.conf in the chroot. No avail. It clearly needs
a lot more than just resolv.conf. Probably a pile of libraries and god knows
what.

Has anybody solved this already and can give me a hint? Google returns one (1)
link for the error message
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.icecast.general/4556 ) and the link
is a question, not an answer. I can't imagine myself being the second person
around to use chroot...

It's icecast-2.2.0-1 built and running on RHEL3 out of the standard issue
source rpm.

The best defence against logic is ignorance.