[Icecast] A few more ezstream questions

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Sat Jan 15 16:01:10 UTC 2005

oddsock wrote:
> At 01:58 PM 1/14/2005, you wrote:
>> 1.  How can I redirect the ezstream output to a file?  Every time I
>> give ezstream a pipe or redirection of the command line, it doesn't
>> output anything at all?  I've had ezstream 0.1.2 shut down on me after
>> several hours and I was hoping to retrieve an error message or
>> something so I could track it down.
>

> that's odd, what platform are you running on ? how are you redirecting
> the output.  ezstream currently uses printf to print to stdout, (this
> will change soon as soon as I get a spare minute), so you should be able
> to use simple shell redirection..

I'm running it on Slackware Linux 10.0.  You might find it interesting
that the usage message can be redirected, but the messages "Streaming
[fileName]" do not get redirected.  The easy test for this is to add |
cat to the command line.  Here's some examples of what happens on my system:

root at wknc:/usr/local/etc/ezstream# ezstream -c test.xml
Connecting to http://localhost:8002/test.ogg...SUCCESS.
Streaming /usr/local/etc/ezstream/messages/test.ogg
Opening file (/usr/local/etc/ezstream/messages/test.ogg)
Songinfo is ()

root at wknc:/usr/local/etc/ezstream# ezstream -c test.xml | cat

root at wknc:/usr/local/etc/ezstream# ezstream | cat
You must supply a config file
usage: ezstream -h -c ezstream.xml
where :
         -h = display this help
         -c = ezstream config file

>> 2.  I'm only using ezstream to repeat a 30s backup message over and
>> over, but I'm doing it with 6 different formats.  Starting apparently
>> with ezstream 0.1.3, ezstream preforms a metadata update through the
>> admin interface.  First, I don't quite understand why it's doing this,
>> since it's not going to change, but more importantly, I'd like to know
>> how I can disable it.  It certainly isn't necessary for me repeating
>> the same clip over and over again, and it just clutters my icecast
>> logs with 12 extra lines per minute.  Is there something I can easily
>> change in the code to turn off this behavior?  I'd go back to 0.1.2,
>> but as previously mentioned it quits after a while, and I'm still
>> trying to find a solution to that.
>

> there is currently not a way to turn off the metadata update.  you could
> turn it off by removing the call to shout_set_metadata() in ezstream.c,
> however that's not something I plan on making configurable...

I can handle that.  I've been making lots of source modifications
recently.  Mostly to darkice.  I see shout_set_metadata in two places.
Looks like you created a function to set the metadata but didn't use it.
  I'll take a look at it soon.  It might raise some more questions about
metadata, but I'll try to figure it out on my own first.

Joel