[Icecast] listener authentication for multiple mountpoints

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Fri Jan 14 05:19:22 UTC 2005

At 07:40 PM 1/13/2005, you wrote:
>So here was my other question that got missed.
>
>>1.  Is it ok to use the same password file for multiple mountpoints, or
>>will that cause problems?

no problems at all with this.

>I just want to us the same passwords for two different streams.  I'm also
>curious if this is in any way related to clusters or grouping mentioned in
>the new features of icecast 2.2.  I don't think it is, but I can't find
>any good documentation on what clusters or groups are, or how to use them
>if I wanted to.

cluster - a group of mountpoints from different icecast servers that should
all contain the same exact content.  This is usually only used when a relay
is setup.  In this case you configure the original stream and all it's
relays with the same "cluster password" and they will appear as a single
"unit" on the stream directory (YP).  When someone clicks on the listen
link for that cluster, they are served an m3u that contains all the
mountpoints in that cluster.

groups - The stream directory will group all mountpoints coming from the
same listing IP and the same server name into a "group".  You might use
this if you were broadcasting a single station in multiple bitrates.  In
this case you would probably have a mountpoint for each bitrate.  And if
you gave them all the same server name (server descriptions can be
different) then they will be visually grouped together on the stream
directory. http://dir.xiph.org/index.php?sgenre=&stype=&search=sluchaj is a
good example of a server grouping... Note that you cannot do anything to
make this grouping occur via icecast (outside of making sure that streams
you want to group will come from the same listing IP and will have the same
server name).  It is done by the stream directory itself.

oddsock