[Icecast] Icecast not streaming from playlist. (Newbie)

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Sat Jan 1 00:51:37 UTC 2005

Hi:

Using your own words, yes you're missing something stupid. :)

It sounds like the streaming is working just fine.  The problem is in how
you're launching the stream at your end.  This *is* mentioned in the docs,
but it's not as clear as it might be so I'll mention it again (it's a
common question).

You can't open the broadcast URL directly with your web browser directly,
as most/all of them don't know what program should open them and some at
least won't let you open a URL directly with another application.  So the
way everyone does it is to use a playlist file with the URL of the stream,
if you want to open it from a web browser.  Fortunately Icecast has
playlist generation built-in (assuming you've set the hostname element
correctly in the icecast config file).  You can type the following into
your browser:

http://server:port/mountpoint.m3u

where server, port and mountpoint are replaced with the appropriate values.
For example, if I've running Icecast on server.com on port 8000 and have a
stream up called live.ogg, the URL would be:

http://server.com:8000/live.ogg.m3u

This will return a .M3U file with the URL of the actual stream in it, which
your player can use to fetch the stream.

Alternatively, you can put the stream URL directly into your player's open
location dialog box.

Hope this helps.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <geoff at hitsandpieces.net>
Phone: +61-418-96-5590
MSN: geoff at acbradio.org

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html