[Icecast] ices 2.0.1 release

Zenon Panoussis oracle at provocation.net
Sat Feb 26 22:47:38 UTC 2005

Michael Smith wrote:

> We won't add mp3 capabilities to ices2 as it is intended as part of
> Xiph.Org's strategy to get users using freely available and freely
> implementable codecs (such as vorbis, theora, etc.).

Hmm. In some cases, the lack of mp3 support has the exact opposite
effect. To wit: I have a huge collection of mp3s which I would like
to broadcast as .ogg, but I don't want to recode them permanently.
If ices2 could read mp3 and recode it to ogg on the fly, I'd be doing
just that. Because it can't, I end up using ices 0.4 and broadcasting
mp3 against my wish to support ogg.

The ability for ices2 to read mp3 seems to be a much-wanted feature,
so I'd like to suggest that you consider (yet again) one-way mp3
compatibility. Just look at Microsoft. One-way compatibility was the
key to the success of their .doc format: Word could convert mostly
everything to .doc while it could not convert .doc to anything at
all. Why not do something equally nasty to .mp3 if you can?

The best defence against logic is ignorance.