[Icecast] AACplus

Ross Levis ross at stationplaylist.com
Fri Feb 25 11:31:11 UTC 2005

Sorry for the crosspost but it's relevant to Vorbis and Icecast I believe.

I'm seeing more and more streaming stations using AACplus, with many
listeners being amazed at the sound quality.  Most say that a 48kb/s sounds
better than a 128kb/s MP3, which would put Ogg Vorbis at around 96kb/s IMO.
That means only half the bitrate is required in AACplus compared to Ogg
Vorbis for the same sound quality.  Up until this codec was available, Ogg
Vorbis compared favourably with all the others.

Is there anything that can be done to bring Ogg Vorbis up to this type of
quality in the future, or is it about as good as it's ever going to be?

I would rather use patent free and open codecs, but this type of bitrate
saving, particularly for streaming, cannot be ignored, and I'm concerned
that this will slow the uptake of Ogg Vorbis and may reverse it's popularity
in time.

Ross.