[Icecast] listening troubles

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Tue Feb 22 14:24:33 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 08:13, Michael LaBash wrote:
> I have successfully installed Icecast 2 on my server and I am using
> Foobar2000 with Oddsock on a remote machine. It works great on iTunes
> with the name of song and artist showing up. But on the Windows Media
> player, my stream name shows up as the song.  RealPlayer on Windows
> has all sorts of trouble ... works on OSX though (but I don't really
> care about RealPlayer for this stream) ..... anyway ....
>
> What are the best players to use for listening to Mp3 streams that
> show the Meta Data?

The metadata in question is not something that is part of mp3, in fact
it invalidates the mp3 frames. Only players that know how to request and
then filter through the shoutcast metadata can show the song info.

The likes of winamp/xmms and by the looks of it itunes (and other
players) know how to handle it, obviously MS Media Player is somewhat
lacking in this regard so is only sent the raw mp3 frame without
metadata.

karl.