[Icecast] Re: [Icecast-dev] Icecast2 Burst-on-Connect - More

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Tue Feb 22 14:14:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 06:09, Greg J. Ogonowski wrote:
> I am trying to determine exactly what the difference in Burst-on-Connect is
> between SHOUTcast and Icecast2.  There are a number of players that are
> having difficulty with the Icecast2 Burst-on-Connect feature.
>
> To determine where the problem might be, I tried to lower the burst-size to
> 32768, but doing so will not allow sources to connect to the Icecast2 server.

A change in burst-size does not affect source clients connecting, only
where listeners start in the queue of stream data. A value of 32768 is
perfectly ok. BTW <burst-on-connect>1</burst-on-connect> is just an
alias for <burst-size>65536</burst-size>

Something else will be stopping the source connecting

> Anyone know what accepted values are here?

it's in bytes, so any value >= 0

> I am also going to try to learn what the SHOUTcast method of sending this
> burst is, since all players I have tested do not seem to have a problem
> with it.  I will supply this information if successful.

The burst for icecast is just send more data as quick as you can, I
can't imagine what is different for shoutcast. If shoutcast uses 1Meg
for burst then test icecast with <burst-size>1048576</burst-size> (and a
queue size larger than 1Meg), see how that works out.

karl